Sunday, November 18, 2007



Although Jackson has fallen into some less than favorable light in recent times, he was a hero when I was younger. My brother loved him first, and being the little sister that I was, I wanted to like everything he did. My mom has beautiful pictures of our Michael Jackson days.

The one particular time that I am reminded of is one Christmas. We were at my grandmas house as we often are. My cousins were all there and as per usual, we were putting together a show to enterain the adults. My brother and I had been practicing our moon walks, our quick turns, and our one armed " Owh"'s. We were ready. We had preciously packed our VHS recording of the video into my sisters diaper bag and ran to retirive it.

We grabbed the skirts of one of the many adults and asked them to place our plastic source of glory into the angry looking VCR. We ran around the corner to prepare for our grand entrance.With a whizz and a buzz the music and video sprang to life. We leaped from around the corner to the center of the living room, pausing only a moment to let the audience recognize us. We were ready for this. We had practiced and practiced. I broke it down as much as my five year old body could in a velvet dress. But for some reason my hearing was a little off You see, in order to be more "Jackson-esque" I had put a large black fedora over my head. Because of its size, I decided to put some earmuffs over the hat, just to be safe. Despite this minor convience, the show went on to be one of the best chronicled events of that Christmas. In fact, almost everyone in my family have at least one picture of me at five, clad in dainty red velvet with bows and frill, topped with my fedora, earmuffs, some sunglasses and one glove.

I still think it would have been a great career choice.

1 comment:

Regina said...

In your post you talk about Christmas and how you used to do countless plays and skits for your family. This brought back so many memories for me. When I was younger my cousins and I used to do this every Sunday when my family would get together. Granted, I have over 10 cousins so this usually was a fiasco and never really turned out right. Our audience would just sit and clap out of respect. If only I could have been like you and put on a Michael Jackson routine, then for sure, I would have had a standing ovation. Even though, my costume would never have been as great as yours.